View : 28 Download: 0
Targeted population screening of late onset Pompe disease in unspecified myopathy patients for Korean population
- Targeted population screening of late onset Pompe disease in unspecified myopathy patients for Korean population
- Lee, Jung Hwan; Shin, Jin-Hong; Park, Hyung Jun; Kim, Sook Za; Jeon, Young Mi; Kim, Hye Kyoung; Kim, Dae-Seong; Choi, Young-Chul
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- NEUROMUSCULAR DISORDERS
- 0960-8966; 1873-2364
- vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 550 - 556
- Late onset Pompe disease; Screening study; Unspecified myopathies; Pseudodeficiency
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- We performed targeted population screening of late onset Pompe disease (LOPD) in unspecified myopathy patients, because early diagnosis is difficult due to its heterogeneous clinical features. We prospectively enrolled 90 unrelated myopathic patients who had one or more signs out of five LOPD-like clinical findings (proximal weakness, axial weakness, lingual weakness, respiratory difficulty, idiopathic hyperCKemia). Acid alpha glucosidase activity was evaluated with dried blood spot and mixed leukocyte simultaneously. For a final diagnosis of LOPD, 16 patients with decreased enzyme activity were genotyped by GAA molecular analysis. We found two patients with LOPD (2.2%), and the remaining 14 patients had at least one G576S or E689K mutation, known as the pseudodeficiency allele. Acid alpha glucosidase activity of LOPD patients was significantly lower than that of patients with at least one pseudodeficiency allele (p = 0.017). This study is the first LOPD screening study for targeted Korean population, and more generally, an Asian population. Our findings suggest that for diagnosis of LOPD in Asian population, modified cutoff value of acid alpha glucosidase activity with dry blood spot considering that of patients having heterozygote pathogenic variants or pseudodeficiency alleles may reduce time and cost requirements and increase the comfort of patients. (C) 2017 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의료원 > 의료원 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.