View : 34 Download: 0
Effects of folic acid supplementation on serum homocysteine levels, lipid profiles, and vascular parameters in post-menopausal Korean women with type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Effects of folic acid supplementation on serum homocysteine levels, lipid profiles, and vascular parameters in post-menopausal Korean women with type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Vijayakumar A.; Kim E.-K.; Kim H.; Choi Y.J.; Huh K.B.; Chang N.
- Ewha Authors
- 장남수; 김혜숙
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 장남수; 김혜숙
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Nutrition Research and Practice
- vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 327 - 333
- Folic acid; LDL cholesterol; Pulse wave velocity; Vitamin B12
- Korean Nutrition Society
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: Complications of diabetes, such as cardiovascular disease, are associated with increased mortality among type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. Homocysteine has been recently identified as a predictor of cardiovascular disease-related complications in diabetes. We investigated whether or not supplementation with folic acid tablets can lower homocysteine levels and improve parameters related with vascular complications. SUBJECTS/METHODS: We conducted a non-randomized 8-week trial involving postmenopausal diabetic women (n = 25) supplemented with 800 μg of folic acid (400 μg twice a day) daily. Subjects’ serum levels of folate, homocysteine, and vitamin B12 were measured, along with vascular function and brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity. RESULTS: Folic acid supplementation significantly increased serum folate levels (P < 0.0001), reduced homocysteine levels (P < 0.0001), and increased vitamin B12 levels (P = 0.0063). There were significant decreases in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels as well as the ratios of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol to high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and total cholesterol to high-density lipoprotein cholesterol. Brachial-ankle pulse wave velocities were not altered by supplementation. Changes in serum vitamin B12 after folic acid supplementation were negatively correlated with changes in brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity. CONCLUSIONS: In this study on postmenopausal Korean women with type 2 diabetes mellitus, folic acid supplementation reduced serum homocysteine levels, increased serum folate and vitamin B12 levels, and lowered lipid parameters. © 2017 The Korean Nutrition Society and the Korean Society of Community Nutrition.
- Appears in Collections:
- 신산업융합대학 > 식품영양학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.