View : 42 Download: 0
Age Differences in Health Literacy: Do Younger Korean Adults Have a Higher Level of Health Literacy than Older Korean Adults?
- Age Differences in Health Literacy: Do Younger Korean Adults Have a Higher Level of Health Literacy than Older Korean Adults?
- Lee E.J.; Lee H.Y.; Chung S.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Health and Social Work
- vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 133 - 141
- age differences; Andersen's behavioral model; depression; health literacy; Korean adults
- National Association of Social Workers
- SSCI; SCOPUS
- The purpose of this study was to investigate the level of health literacy of adults living in South Korea and identify factors associated with health literacy in different age groups. Using a quota sampling method, authors recruited 1,000 Korean adults age 20 years and older. Health literacy was measured by using three items selected from a 16-question self-report health literacy measure. In accordance with Andersen's behavioral model, predisposing, enabling, and need factors were included in the multiple regression model. Age differences were found in health literacy levels; specifically, lower health literacy was associated with older age. For the 20 through 44-year age group, health literacy was positively associated with having private health insurance and higher self-rated health status. For the 45 through 64 and the 65 and over age groups, education was positively associated with health literacy. For the oldest age group, gender also had a positive association with health literacy. Lower levels of depression were significantly linked to a higher level of health literacy across all ages. This study illustrates ways to increase health literacy among different age groups and prioritizes target intervention groups in an effort to reduce health disparities. © 2017 National Association of Social Workers.
- Appears in Collections:
- 사회과학대학 > 사회복지학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.