View : 47 Download: 0
Local Release of VEGF Using Fiber Mats Enables Effective Transplantation of Layered Cardiomyocyte Sheets
- Local Release of VEGF Using Fiber Mats Enables Effective Transplantation of Layered Cardiomyocyte Sheets
- Nagase K.; Nagumo Y.; Kim M.; Kim H.-J.; Kyung H.-W.; Chung H.-J.; Sekine H.; Shimizu T.; Kanazawa H.; Okano T.; Lee S.-J.; Yamato M.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Macromolecular Bioscience
- vol. 17, no. 8
- cell sheet; electrospun fiber; regenerative medicine; tissue engineering; VEGF
- Wiley-VCH Verlag
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Cell sheet transplantation is a key tissue engineering technology. A vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-releasing fiber mat is developed for the transplantation of multilayered cardiomyocyte sheets. Poly(vinyl alcohol) fiber mats bearing poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) nanoparticles that incorporate VEGF are fabricated using electrospinning and electrospray methods. Six-layered cardiomyocyte sheets are transplanted with a VEGF-releasing mat into athymic rats. After two weeks, these sheets produce thicker cardiomyocyte layers compared with controls lacking a VEGF-releasing mat, and incorporate larger-diameter blood vessels containing erythrocytes. Thus, local VEGF release near the transplanted cardiomyocytes induces vascularization, which supplies sufficient oxygen and nutrients to prevent necrosis. In contrast, cardiomyocyte sheets without a VEGF-releasing mat do not survive in vivo, probably undergo necrosis, and are reduced in thickness. Hence, these VEGF-releasing mats enable the transplantation of multilayered cardiomyocyte sheets in a single procedure, and should expand the potential of cell sheet transplantation for therapeutic applications. (Figure presented.). © 2017 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim
- Appears in Collections:
- 약학대학 > 약학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.