View : 10 Download: 0
Functional immune responses to 11 non-PCV13 serotypes after immunization with a 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine in older adults
- Functional immune responses to 11 non-PCV13 serotypes after immunization with a 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine in older adults
- Lee S.; Kim H.W.; Lee J.H.; Kim K.-H.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- vol. 35, no. 37, pp. 4960 - 4965
- Elderly; Immunogenicity; Phagocytosis; Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine
- Elsevier Ltd
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Background The 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV23) has been recommended for adults aged ≥65 years. To evaluate functional immune response against the additional 11 serotypes that are included in PPSV23, but not the 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV13), serotype-specific anti-pneumococcal antibodies were examined using an opsonophagocytic assay (OPA). Methods Participants ≥65 years of age that were naïve to the pneumococcal vaccine were enrolled. They were divided into two groups according to their age: group 1 (N = 30; aged 65–74 years) and group 2 (N = 32; aged ≥75 years). The functional antibody response prior to and 4 weeks post-immunization with PPSV23 was determined, using a multiplexed OPA (MOPA) for 11 pneumococcal serotypes (2, 8, 9N, 10A, 11A, 12F, 15B, 17F, 20B, 22F, and 33F). Results Geometric mean OPA titers (GMTs) to 11 serotypes were significantly increased in both groups post-immunization compared to those prior to immunization. The GMTs for all serotypes were not significantly different between the two groups after immunization. The proportion of subjects with OPA titers post-immunization of ≥8 and ≥64 was 93–100% and 80–100% for the 11 serotypes, respectively, while subjects with a ≥4-fold increase in OPA titers ranged from 9 to 90% for the 11 serotypes. Conclusions This study revealed that PPSV23 vaccination induced significant functional immune responses to 11 non-PCV13 serotypes in older adults. The MOPA has been shown to be a useful tool for future application in evaluating new PCVs in older adults. The clinical trial registration number is KCT 0001963 (CRIS, https://cris.nih.go.kr/cris/en/). © 2017 The Author(s)
- Appears in Collections:
- 의학전문대학원 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.