View : 96 Download: 0

Cooperatives and Women’s Economic Empowerment in Rwanda

Title
Cooperatives and Women’s Economic Empowerment in Rwanda
Authors
NABONIBO, Justine
Issue Date
2017
Department/Major
국제대학원 국제학과
Publisher
이화여자대학교 국제대학원
Degree
Master
Advisors
Hannah Jun (전희경)
Abstract
르완다 정부는 협동조합을 구성원들의 일자리를 창출하고, 소득창출활동에 대한 접근을 확대하여 나아가 개인 사업으로 발전시킬 수 있는 잠재적인 수단으로 여긴다. 협동조합 운동은 참여적 개발이라는 목적과 1994년 투치족에 대한 집단학살사건 이후 사회적 치유라는 수단의 측면에서 정부에 의해 추진되고 있다. 협동조합은 경제적 역량 강화 뿐만 아니라 사회적 결속에 대한 기회를 제공한다는데 의미를 지닌다. 그러한 의미에서 협동조합은 정부가 개인으로 하여금 자신의 사업을 개발하는데 필요한 역량을 강화하는 경영 및 기업가 훈련을 제공할 수 있는적합한 수단이며,참여자는 이를 통해 저축과 투자를 증대시키고 가족구성원의 사회복지를 향상시킬 수 있다. 본 연구는 가장 성공적인 협동조합으로 여겨지는 COCOKI의 사례를 통해 르완다 협동조합이 여성의 경제적 역량강화와 취약계층의 빈곤감소에 어떠한 영향을 가지는가를 분석하고자 한다. 이 연구를 통해 COCOKI가 여전히 해결해야할 문제점이 남아있음에도 불구하고, 구성원들의 경제적 역량이 강화되었음을 밝혔다. 구성원들의 신용대출에 대한 접근이 41% 상승했으며, 수입과 지출에 대한 결정권, 사회적 참여도가 향상되었다. 또한구성원93%의 소득수준과 저축이 증대되었고, 직업교육 시설에 대한 접근정도가 90% 상승했다. 나아가 협동조합을 통해 무직상태에 있던 38%의 구성원들이 직업을 갖게 되었으며, 62%의 구성원은 더 나은 일자리를 찾았다. 그러나 경제적 역량강화를 달성한 여성들의 수치상의 비율이 높아졌음에도 불구하고, 여전히 60% 여성들이 주도적인 결정을 내리는데 주저함을 발견했다. 이 여성들은 월소득에 직접 영향을 미치는 시장과 고객의 부족, 리더십과 협동조합 관리에 대한 교육 및 관련업무에 있어서의 교육부족 등을 경제권을 제한하는 문제점으로 제기하였다. 본 연구는 여성의 역량강화가 르완다 경제발전에 기여함을 시사한다. 그럼에도 불구하고 발전을 저해하는 요소들이 여전히 존재한다. 이를 해소하기 위해서는 르완다 정부와 시민사회, 특히 NGO와 르완다의 협동조합(RCA)을 통하여 민간영역 – 협동조합의 구성원들 뿐아니라 공동체와 배우자들에게도 더 많은 교육이 제공되어야 할 것이다. 이러한 혁신은 협동조합을 사업에 중점을 둔 지속가능한 기구로 성장하게 할 것이다.;The Government of Rwanda considers cooperatives as a potential vehicle through which members could create jobs and expand access to income-generating activities that in turn facilitate them to develop their own business. The cooperative movement is increasingly being promoted by the government as a means for participatory development and a wheel to social healing from the 1994 Genocide against Tutsi. Cooperatives not only offer a means for attaining economic empowerment but also offer an opportunity for social cohesion. It is through these cooperatives that the government provides entrepreneurial and managerial training that enhance their capacities in developing their own business. Cooperatives are also arenas through which members increase saving and investment and improve the social welfare of their families. This study sought to investigate the role of cooperatives in women’s economic empowerment in Rwanda and the extent to which cooperatives lift vulnerable Rwandans out of poverty. In a special way, the study focused on women since they make the majority of vulnerable section of the population. COCOKI being one of the most successful women cooperative in the country was taken as our sample. This cooperative consists of a group of 40 women whom most of them formerly sold items on the streets of Kigali and later came together to form a cooperative. The overall results of the study revealed that COCOKI has economically empowered its members but a lot still need to be done. Economic empowerment is reflected in their increased access to credits/loans which amounted to 41%, improved decisionmaking power over their income and spending, involvement in social activities; 93% increase in savings and income level, and 90% accessibility to training facilities. The study further revealed that the cooperative has provided employment to 38% of its members who were jobless and a better job to the other 62%. Although the study revealed that there has been improvement in the number of women who were economically empowered, 60% of the women still face challenges that hinder them from making their own decisions. They also face challenges that that limit their economic. Among the challenges mentioned by the respondents there is lack of market or lack of orders from clients which affects their monthly income. They also face challenges of not having enough training related to what they do; trainings on leadership and cooperative management. The finding of our study revealed that women empowerment contributes to economic development of Rwanda. However, there are still facing challenges that limit them. The government of Rwanda, the civil society especially NGOs and the private sector through Rwanda Cooperative Agency (RCA) should provide more training not only to cooperative members but to the community and their spouses as well. This will ignite innovation and turn the cooperative into a more business focused and sustainable organization.
Fulltext
Show the fulltext
Appears in Collections:
국제대학원 > 국제학과 > Theses_Master
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Export
RIS (EndNote)
XLS (Excel)
XML


qrcode

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

BROWSE