View : 229 Download: 0
Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and Age-Related Cataract
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and Age-Related Cataract
- Park S.; Choi N.-K.
- Ewha Authors
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Ophthalmic Epidemiology
- Ophthalmic Epidemiology vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 281 - 286
- 25(OH)D; 25-hydroxyvitamin D; cataract; eye; vitamin D
- Taylor and Francis Ltd
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Purpose: Cataract and insufficient vitamin D intake are both increasing worldwide concerns, yet little is known about the relationship between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) levels and age-related cataract. We performed this study to determine the association between serum 25(OH)D levels and age-related cataract in adults. Methods: Study participants comprised 16,086 adults aged 40 years or older who had never been diagnosed with or undergone surgery for cataract using Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey data from 2008 to 2012. Participants were assessed to have cataract when diagnosed with cortical, nuclear, anterior subcapsular, posterior subcapsular, or mixed cataract. Odds ratios (ORs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs) were used to evaluate the magnitude and significance of the association between serum 25(OH)D levels and cataract in multivariable logistic regression models. Results: The OR for nuclear cataract with the highest quintile of serum 25(OH)D levels was 0.86 (95% CI 0.75–0.99) compared to the lowest quintile. A linear trend across quintiles was significant. Natural log-transformed serum 25(OH)D levels were also significantly associated with nuclear cataract (OR 0.84, 95% CI 0.75–0.95). The opulation-attributable fraction of nuclear cataract due to serum 25(OH)D insufficiency (<30 ng/mL) was 8.8% (p = 0.048). Conclusions: Serum 25(OH)D levels were inversely associated with the risk of nuclear cataract. Prospective studies investigating the effects of serum 25(OH)D levels on the development of nuclear cataract are needed to confirm our findings. © 2017 Taylor & Francis.
- Appears in Collections:
- 신산업융합대학 > 융합보건학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.