View : 331 Download: 124
"Strength of weak ties," Neighborhood ethnic heterogeneity, and depressive symptoms among adults: A multilevel analysis of Korean General Social Survey (KGSS) 2012
- "Strength of weak ties," Neighborhood ethnic heterogeneity, and depressive symptoms among adults: A multilevel analysis of Korean General Social Survey (KGSS) 2012
- Kim H.H.-S.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Social Sciences
- Social Sciences vol. 6, no. 2
- Korean General Social Survey; Mental health; Multilevel models; Neighborhood effect; Social networks; Tie strength
- MDPI AG
- Document Type
- A substantial body of research, based largely on North American and European contexts, demonstrates that social networks play a critical role in protecting and promoting mental, as well as physical, health. The purpose of this study is to examine how "weak" and "strong" network relations are differentially related to individual mental health (depressive symptoms) based on a nationally representative sample of South Korean adults. Using multilevel analysis, the current research also investigates the extent to which contextual or neighborhood-level factors moderate the associations between depression and social network. Findings show that regular interaction with weaker ties (acquaintances, neighbors, coworkers, etc.) are associated with better mental health. The number of strong ties (family members and friends), on the other hand, is not a significant predictor of psychological distress. In addition, a cross-level interaction term is observed: The negative relationship between weak ties and depressive symptoms is diminished in neighborhoods with more foreign-born residents or immigrants. General implications beyond the empirical case under investigation are discussed, as to why weak ties can be "strong" in relation to mental health and how this phenomenon can vary according to residential characteristics such as ethnic heterogeneity. © 2017 by the authors.
- Appears in Collections:
- 사회과학대학 > 사회학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
“Strength of Weak Ties,”.pdf(589.59 kB)
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.