View : 130 Download: 0
Potent Inhibition of Monoamine Oxidase B by a Piloquinone from Marine-Derived Streptomyces sp CNQ-027
- Potent Inhibition of Monoamine Oxidase B by a Piloquinone from Marine-Derived Streptomyces sp CNQ-027
- Lee, Hyun Woo; Choi, Hansol; Nam, Sang-Jip; Fenical, William; Kim, Hoon
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF MICROBIOLOGY AND BIOTECHNOLOGY
- 1017-7825; 1738-8872
- vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 785 - 790
- Monoamine oxidase; piloquinone; Streptomyces sp CNQ-027; potent selective inhibitor; competitive inhibitor
- KOREAN SOC MICROBIOLOGY & BIOTECHNOLOGY
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Two piloquinone derivatives isolated from Streptomyces sp. CNQ-027 were tested for the inhibitory activities of two isoforms of monoamine oxidase (MAO), which catalyzes monoamine neurotransmitters. The piloquinone 4,7-dihydroxy-3-methyl-2-(4-methyl-1-oxopentyl)-6H-dibenzo[b,d]pyran-6-one (1) was found to be a highly potent inhibitor of human MAO-B, with an IC50 value of 1.21 mu M; in addition, it was found to be highly effective against MAO-A, with an IC50 value of 6.47 mu M. Compound 1 was selective, but not extremely so, for MAO-B compared with MAO-A, with a selectivity index value of 5.35. Compound 1,8-dihydroxy-2-methyl-3-(4-methyl-1-oxopentyl)-9,10-phenanthrenedione (2) was moderately effective for the inhibition of MAO-B (IC50 = 14.50 mu M) but not for MAO-A (IC50 > 80 mu M). There was no time-dependency in inhibition of MAO-A or -B by compound 1, and the MAO-A and -B activities were almost completely recovered in the dilution experiments with an excess amount of compound 1. Compound 1 showed competitive inhibition for MAO-A and -B, with K-i values of 0.573 and 0.248 mu M, respectively. These results suggest that piloquinones from a microbial source could be potent reversible MAO inhibitors and may be useful lead compounds for developing MAO enzyme inhibitors to treat related disorders, such as depression, Parkinson's disease, and Alzheimer's disease.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 화학·나노과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.