View : 46 Download: 0
Transcortical Endoscopic Surgery for Intraventricular Lesions
- Transcortical Endoscopic Surgery for Intraventricular Lesions
- Kim, Myung-Hyun
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF KOREAN NEUROSURGICAL SOCIETY
- 2005-3711; 1598-7876
- vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 327 - 334
- Endoscopy; Arachnoid cysts; Cysticercosis; Colloid cyst; Intraventricular tumor
- KOREAN NEUROSURGICAL SOC
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- To review recent advances in endoscopic techniques for treating intraventricular lesions via transcortical passage. Articles in PubMed published since 2000 were searched using the keywords 'endoscopy,' 'endoscopic,' and 'neuroendoscopic.' Of these articles, those describing intraventricular lesions were reviewed. Suprasellar arachnoid cysts (SACs) can be treated with ventriculo-cystostomy (VC) or ventriculo-cysto-cisternostomy (VCC). VCC showed better results compared to VC. Procedure type, fenestration size, stent placement, and aqueductal patency may affect SAC prognosis. Colloid cysts can be managed using a transforaminal approach (TA) or a transforaminal-transchoroidal approach (TTA). However, TTA may result in better exposure compared to TA. Intraventricular cysticercosis can be cured with an endoscopic procedure alone, but if pericystic inflammation and/or ependymal reaction are seen, third ventriculostomy may be recommended. Tumor biopsies have yielded successful diagnosis rates of up to 100%, but tumor location, total specimen size, endoscope type, and vigorous coagulation on the tumor surface may affect diagnostic accuracy. An ideal indication for tumor excision is a small tumor with friable consistency and little vascularity. Tumor size, composition, and vascularity may influence a complete resection. SACs and intraventricular cysticercosis can be treated successfully using endoscopic procedures. Endoscopic procedures may represent an alternative to surgical options for colloid cyst removal. Solid tumors can be safely biopsied using endoscopic techniques, but endoscopy for tumor resection still results in considerable challenges.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.