View : 124 Download: 0
Accurate and Precise Determination of Mechanical Properties of Silicon Nitride Beam Nanoelectromechanical Devices
- Accurate and Precise Determination of Mechanical Properties of Silicon Nitride Beam Nanoelectromechanical Devices
- Kim, Hakseong; Shin, Dong Hoon; McAllister, Kirstie; Seo, Miri; Lee, Sangik; Kang, Il-Suk; Park, Bae Ho; Carnpbell, Eleanor E. B.; Lee, Sang Wook
- Ewha Authors
- 이상욱; 신동훈
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 이상욱; 신동훈
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES
- vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 7282 - 7287
- nanoelectromechanical systems; resonators; mass sensors; biomolecular sensors; gas detectors
- AMER CHEMICAL SOC
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Accurate and precise determination of mechanical properties of nanoscale materials is mandatory since device performances of nanoelectromechanical systems (NEMS) are closely related to the flexural properties of the materials. In this study, the intrinsic mechanical properties of highly stressed silicon nitride (SiN) beams of varying lengths are investigated using two different techniques: Dynamic flexural measurement using optical interferometry and quasi-static flexural measurement using atomic force microscopy. The resonance frequencies of the doubly clamped, highly stressed beams are found to be inversely proportional to their length, which is not usually observed from a beam but is expected from a string-like structure. The mass density of the SiN beams can be precisely determined from the dynamic flexural measurements by using the values for internal stress and Young's modulus determined from the quasi-static measurements. As a result, the mass resolution of the SiN beam resonators was predicted to be a few attograms, which was found to be in excellent agreement with the experimental results. This work suggests that accurate and precise determination of mechanical properties can be achieved through combined flexural measurement techniques, which is a crucial key for designing practical NEMS applications such as biomolecular sensors and gas detectors.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 물리학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.