View : 64 Download: 0
Risk factors for low back injury among farmers in Iowa: A case-control study nested in the Agricultural Health Study
- Risk factors for low back injury among farmers in Iowa: A case-control study nested in the Agricultural Health Study
- Sprince N.; Park H.; Zwerling C.; Whitten P.; Lynch C.; Burmeister L.; Thu K.; Gillette P.; Alavanja M.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene
- vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 10 - 16
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- The aim of this study was to assess risk factors for low back injury requiring medical advice or treatment among Iowa farmers. Although farmers are at risk for low back injury, few studies have addressed risk factors for farm work-related low back injury. We screened 6999 participants in the Iowa portion of the Agricultural Health Study to identify 49 male farmers who reported farm work-related low back injury requiring medical advice or treatment in the previous year. We compared them with 465 uninjured male farmer controls. Multivariable modeling identified four risk factors significantly associated with low back injury: age less than 45 years (OR = 3.32; 95% CI 1.75-6.20), doctor-diagnosed asthma (OR = 4.26; 95% CI 1.49-12.10), education beyond high school (OR = 2.12; 95% CI 1.13-3.90), and difficulty hearing normal conversation (even with a hearing aid, in the case of those using one) (OR = 1.98; 95% CI 1.02-3.80). Although hearing difficulty may be a general risk factor for occupational injury, asthma may be a more specific risk factor for low back injury. Future research to assess the risk factors, asthma and difficulty hearing, may be particularly important, since farmers are at increased risk for hearing loss, and farmers come into contact with many inhaled agents that can cause asthma.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의학전문대학원 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.