View : 587 Download: 249
The effect of aircraft noise on sleep disturbance among the residents near a civilian airport: A cross-sectional study
- The effect of aircraft noise on sleep disturbance among the residents near a civilian airport: A cross-sectional study
- Kwak K.M.; Ju Y.-S.; Kwon Y.-J.; Chung Y.K.; Kim B.K.; Kim H.; Youn K.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
- Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine vol. 28, no. 1
- Aircraft; Daytime hypersomnia; Insomnia; Noise; Sleep disturbance
- BioMed Central Ltd.
- Document Type
- Background: Aircraft noise is a major environmental noise problem. This study was conducted in order to investigate the relationship between sleep disturbance and exposure to aircraft noise on the residents who are living near an airport. Methods: There were 3308 residents (1403 in the high exposure group, 1428 in the low exposure group, and 477 in the non-exposure group) selected as the subjects for this study. The Insomnia severity Index (ISI) and Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS) questionnaires were used to evaluate sleep disturbance. Results: The mean ISI and ESS scores were 6.9 ± 6.4 and 5.5 ± 3.7, respectively, and the average scores were significantly greater in the aircraft noise exposure group, as compared to the non-exposure group. The percentage of the abnormal subjects, which were classified according to the results of the ISI and ESS, was also significantly greater in the noise exposure group, as compared to the control group. The odd ratios for insomnia and daytime hypersomnia were approximately 3 times higher in the noise exposure group, as compared to the control group. Conclusions: The prevalence of insomnia and daytime hypersomnia was higher in the aircraft noise exposure group, as compared to the control group. Further study is deemed necessary in order to clarify the causal relationship. © 2016 The Author(s).
- Appears in Collections:
- 의료원 > 의료원 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
The effect of aircraft noise on sleep disturbance among the residents near a civilian airport.pdf(1.45 MB)
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.