View : 323 Download: 0
Acupuncture does not protect against 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine-induced damage of dopaminergic neurons in a preclinical mouse model of Parkinson's disease
- Acupuncture does not protect against 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine-induced damage of dopaminergic neurons in a preclinical mouse model of Parkinson's disease
- Yang H.-J.; Gao Y.; Yun J.Y.; Kim Y.E.; Ehm G.; Lee J.Y.; Yoon M.-Y.; Lee Y.-S.; Kim H.-J.; Jeon B.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 50 - 55
- 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine; acupuncture; Parkinson's disease; striatum; substantia nigra
- Lippincott Williams and Wilkins
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Acupuncture treatment, a complementary and alternative medicine, is associated with a suggested neuroprotective effect in previous preclinical studies of Parkinson's disease (PD); however, results from human clinical trials have been mixed or unsuccessful. Recent systematic reviews of translational neuroprotective studies showed that the supposed efficacy is confounded by low methodological quality, particularly by a lack of randomization and concealed allocation. We sought to replicate previous experimental findings with a study design that mitigates the introduction of bias, including randomization, blinded outcome measures, sham acupuncture application, and allocation concealment by blinded neurotoxin administration. We performed 12 sessions of manual acupuncture at acupoint GB34 (yanglingquan) in mice that were administered the 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine neurotoxin for five consecutive days. In this animal model of PD, acupuncture treatment did not attenuate tyrosine hydroxylase-immunoreactive neuronal death, depletion of striatal dopamine levels, or reduced striatal tyrosine hydroxylase expression. Our results indicate that acupuncture is not neuroprotective against nigrostriatal loss in a subacute 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine mouse model of PD. Copyright © 2017 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. All rights reserved.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의료원 > 의료원 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.