View : 111 Download: 0
Antimicrobial activity of lactobacillus strains against uropathogens
- Antimicrobial activity of lactobacillus strains against uropathogens
- Shim, Yoon Hee; Lee, Seung Joo; Lee, Jung Won
- Ewha Authors
- 이승주; 이정원
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 이승주; 이정원
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- PEDIATRICS INTERNATIONAL
- 1328-8067; 1442-200X
- vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 1009 - 1013
- antibiotic disc; inhibitory zone; lactobacillus; urinary tract infection; uropathogen
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- BackgroundThe use of lactobacillus probiotics has been proposed as an alternative to prophylactic antibiotics for preventing urinary tract infection (UTI) in the era of antibiotic resistance. In this study, the antimicrobial activity of lactobacillus strains against uropathogens, was evaluated and compared with that of antibiotics. MethodsTo evaluate inhibitory activities of lactobacilli against uropathogens, six lactobacillus strains (L. gasseri, L. rhamnosus, L. acidophilus, L. plantarum, L. paracasei, L. acidophilus) and four representative uropathogens of infantile UTI (extended-spectrum beta-lactamase [ESBL](-) Escherichia coli, ESBL(+) E. coli, Proteus vulgaris, Enterococcus fecalis) were selected. Lactobacillus strain in vitro inhibition of each uropathogen was evaluated on MRS agar well diffusion assay and compared with that of commercial antibiotic discs. ResultsAverage inhibitory zone for each of the six lactobacillus strains against the four uropathogens showed slightly different but consistent inhibition (inhibitory zone diameter, 10.5-20.0 mm). This was different to that of the antibiotic discs, which had a wider range of inhibition (inhibitory zone diameter, <6.0-27.5 mm) depending on the uropathogen resistance pattern. The inhibitory zone of the six lactobacillus strains was between that of sensitive and resistant antibiotics (P < 0.05). ConclusionsLactobacillus strains had similar moderate antimicrobial activities against uropathogens. Further research is needed to ascertain the strains with the best probiotic potential.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의학전문대학원 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.