View : 178 Download: 59
Low-mass-ion discriminant equation (LOME) for ovarian cancer screening
- Low-mass-ion discriminant equation (LOME) for ovarian cancer screening
- Lee J.H.; Yoo B.C.; Kim Y.H.; Ahn S.-A.; Yeo S.-G.; Cho J.Y.; Kim K.-H.; Kim S.C.
- Ewha Authors
- 김승철; 김윤환
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 김승철; 김윤환
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- BioData Mining
- BioData Mining vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1 - 14
- MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry; Ovarian cancer; Pattern recognition; Screening; Serum profiling
- BioMed Central Ltd.
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Background: A low-mass-ion discriminant equation (LOME) was constructed to investigate whether systematic low-mass-ion (LMI) profiling could be applied to ovarian cancer (OVC) screening. Results: Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization-time of flight (MALDI-TOF) mass spectrometry was performed to obtain mass spectral data on metabolites detected as LMIs up to a mass-to-charge ratio (m/z) of 2500 for 1184 serum samples collected from healthy individuals and patients with OVC, other types of cancer, or several types of benign tumor. Principal component analysis-based discriminant analysis and two search algorithms were employed to identify discriminative low-mass ions for distinguishing OVC from non-OVC cases. OVC LOME with 13 discriminative LMIs produced excellent classification results in a validation set (sensitivity, 93.10 %; specificity, 100.0 %). Among 13 LMIs showing differential mass intensities in OVC, 3 metabolic compounds were identified and semi-quantitated. The relative amount of LPC 16:0 was somewhat decreased in OVC, but not significantly so. In contrast, D,L -glutamine and fibrinogen alpha chain fragment were significantly increased in OVC compared to the control group (p = 0.001 and 0.002, respectively). Conclusion: The present study suggested that OVC LOME might be a useful non-invasive tool with high sensitivity and specificity for OVC screening. The LOME approach could enable screening for multiple diseases, including various types of cancer, based on a single blood sample. Furthermore, the serum levels of three metabolic compounds - D,L -glutamine, LPC 16:0 and fibrinogen alpha chain fragment - might facilitate screening for OVC. © 2016 The Author(s).
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
Low-mass-ion discriminant equation (LOME) for ovarian cancer screening.pdf(1.45 MB)
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.