View : 135 Download: 0
An efficient page replacement algorithm for PCM-based mobile embedded systems
- An efficient page replacement algorithm for PCM-based mobile embedded systems
- Yoo S.; Bahn H.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- 2016 IEEE/ACIS 17th International Conference on Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking and Parallel/Distributed Computing, SNPD 2016
- 2016 IEEE/ACIS 17th International Conference on Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking and Parallel/Distributed Computing, SNPD 2016, pp. 183 - 188
- CLOCK; Phase-change memory; replacement algorithm; swap device; virtual memory
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc.
- Document Type
- Conference Paper
- Traditional embedded systems do not use virtual memory swapping but load the entire footprint into memory as they are usually single task special-purpose machines. Recently, as mobile embedded systems support multi-tasking, the necessity of swapping is becoming increasingly important. However, current mobile systems such as smartphones do not support swapping because flash memory has weaknesses to be a swap device in such environments. More recently, phase-change memory (PCM) emerges as an alternative medium for the swap device of mobile embedded systems. In this paper, we present a new page replacement algorithm for a mobile embedded system that uses PCM as a swap device. Although PCM provides high performance and byte-accessibility, its write operation is slow and it accommodates only limited endurance cycles. To cope with this situation, our algorithm tracks the dirtiness of a page at the granularity of a sub-page and replaces the least dirty page among pages not recently used, leading to reduced write traffic to PCM. Experimental results with various mobile workloads show that the proposed algorithm reduces the amount of data written to PCM by 24% on average and up to 74% compared to the well-known CLOCK algorithm. It also extends the lifetime of PCM by 50% on average. © 2016 IEEE.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 컴퓨터공학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.