View : 159 Download: 0
A study on 3D digital image applying oriental painting techniques
- A study on 3D digital image applying oriental painting techniques
- Choi Y.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- SIGGRAPH 2016 - ACM SIGGRAPH 2016 Posters
- 3D digital image; Oriental painting technique
- Association for Computing Machinery, Inc
- With the advent of media, artists have expanded the domains of visual arts through various new attempts to integrate digital technology with arts. Along with the changes in working environment, nowadays, there have been new attempts to reinterpret old masterpiece using digital media. The initial studies regarding 3D image of oriental painting were mainly focused on non-photorealistic rendering techniques. However, the technique has limitations in expressing or reproducing the unique elements of expression used in oriental paintings. The traditional oriental paintings were not expressed with perspective view and shadow; and in a water ink painting, color expression is also limited because of the unique properties of the ingredient, 'Muk (Ink Stick).' Moreover, the oriental paintings have multiple viewpoints in one scene. Therefore, there are difficulties in using tools such as Maya or 3DMax to express the traditional artworks of the East. In this context, the purpose of this study is to provide alternative solutions to resolve the problems that arise in the process of recreating oriental paintings into 3D image, based on the theoretical framework of spatial arrangement and composition principles. Also, the study reinterpreted the classical works by applying storytelling techniques, which utilize the expandability of time, a main characteristic of visual media. <Inwang Jesaekdo> and <Geumgang Jeondo>, the two major artwork of Gyeomjae Jeong Seon, who is one of the most representative literary artists of the Joseon Dynasty, were reinterpreted with 3D digital image, and new design methods and techniques were applied. Copyright is held by the owner/author(s).
- Appears in Collections:
- 조형예술대학 > 영상디자인전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.