View : 459 Download: 369
Deglutathionylation of 2-Cys peroxiredoxin is specifically catalyzed by sulfiredoxin
- Deglutathionylation of 2-Cys peroxiredoxin is specifically catalyzed by sulfiredoxin
- Park J.W.; Mieyal J.J.; Rhee S.G.; Chock P.B.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Journal of Biological Chemistry vol. 284, no. 35, pp. 23364 - 23374
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Reversible protein glutathionylation plays a key role in cellular regulation and cell signaling and protects protein thiols from hyperoxidation. Sulfiredoxin (Srx), an enzyme that catalyzes the reduction of Cys-sulfinic acid derivatives of 2-Cys peroxiredoxins (2-Cys Prxs), has been shown to catalyze the deglutathionylation of actin. Weshow that deglutathionylation of 2-Cys Prx, a family of peroxidases, is specifically catalyzed by Srx. Using the ubiquitously expressed member of 2-Cys Prx, Prx I, we revealed the following. (i) Among its four Cys residues, Cys52, Cys83, and Cys173 can be glutathionylated in vitro. Deglutathionylation with Cys mutants showed that Cys83 and Cys173 were preferentially catalyzed by Srx, with glutathionylated Srx as the reaction intermediate, whereas glutaredoxin I was more favorable for deglutathionylating Cys52. (ii) Studies using site-directed mutagenesis coupled with binding and deglutathionylation activities revealed that Pro174 and Pro179 of Prx I and Tyr92 of Srx are essential for both activities. Furthermore, relative to glutaredoxin I, Srx exhibited negligible deglutathionylation activity for glutathionylated cysteine and glutathionylated BSA. These results indicate that Srx is specific for deglutathionylating Prx I due to its favorable affinity for Prx I. To assess the biological relevance of these observations, we showed that Prx I is glutathionylated in A549 and HeLa cells under modest levels of H2O2. In addition, the level of glutathionylated Prx I was substantially elevated in small interfering RNA-mediated Srx-knocked down cells, whereas the reverse was observed in Srx-overexpressing cells. However, glutathionylation of Prx V, not known to bind to Srx, was not affected by the change in Srx expression levels.
- Appears in Collections:
- 일반대학원 > 생명·약학부 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
Deglutathionylation of 2-Cys peroxiredoxin is specifically catalyzed by sulfiredoxin.pdf(3.73 MB)
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.