View : 110 Download: 0
A case of disseminated multidrug-resistant tuberculosis involving the brain
- A case of disseminated multidrug-resistant tuberculosis involving the brain
- Jung E.K.; Chang J.Y.; Lee Y.P.; Chung M.K.; Seo E.K.; Koo H.S.; Choi H.J.
- Ewha Authors
- 구혜수; 최희정; 서의교
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 구혜수; 최희정; 서의교
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Infection and Chemotherapy
- vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 41 - 46
- Central nervous system; Multidrug-resistant; Mycobacterium tuberculosis; Pulmonary; Tuberculosis
- Korean Society for Chemotherapy
- We report a case of a 23-year-old female immigrant from China who was diagnosed with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis affecting her lung and brain, resistant to the standard first-line therapeutics and streptomycin. She was treated with prothionamide, moxifloxacin, cycloserine, and kanamycin. However, her headache and brain lesion worsened. After the brain biopsy, the patient was confirmed with intracranial tuberculoma. Linezolid was added to intensify the treatment regimen, and steroid was added for the possibility of paradoxical response. Kanamycin was discontinued 6 months after initiation of the treatment; she was treated for 18 months with susceptible drugs and completely recovered. To our knowledge, this case is the first multidrug- resistant tuberculosis that disseminated to the brain in Korea. ©2016 by The Korean Society of Infectious Diseases.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.