View : 17 Download: 0
Feasibility of injectable thermoreversible gels for use in intramuscular injection of parathyroid autotransplantation
- Feasibility of injectable thermoreversible gels for use in intramuscular injection of parathyroid autotransplantation
- Park H.S.; Jung S.Y.; Kim H.Y.; Ko D.Y.; Chung S.M.; Jeong B.; Kim H.S.
- Ewha Authors
- 정성민; 정병문; 김한수; 정수연
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 정성민; 정병문; 김한수; 정수연
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology
- vol. 273, no. 11, pp. 3827 - 3834
- Injections; Intramuscular; Parathyroid; Transplantation
- Springer Verlag
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Surgical transplantation of parathyroid tissue into the forearm muscle is one of the most commonly used surgical techniques. While simple, the procedure suffers from drawbacks. This study evaluated the feasibility of thermoreversible gel as an injectable carrier for parathyroid autotransplantation. Polyethyleneglycol-polyalanine-co-phenylalanine (PEG–PAF) thermoreversible gel (sol form at 4Â Â°C, gel form at 37Â Â°C) were manufactured. Thirty-eight Sprague–Dawley rats were divided into two groups (19 control, C group; 19 experimental, P group). The parathyroid glands of rats were excised. Parathyroid tissues were transplanted into the muscle pocket in sternocleidomastoid muscle in the C group. In the P group, the tissues were injected into the same muscle mixed with 0.3Â ml thermoreversible gel. The serum levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH), ionized calcium, and phosphorous were measured before surgical procedure, on 7, 21, 56, and 70Â days after surgery. Histology and immunohistochemistry were performed. Preoperative median PTH level of the C and the P group were 60.80 and 43.85Â pg/ml, respectively (pÂ =Â 0.641). SeventyÂ days after surgery, median PTH level was 32.8 and 25.61Â pg/ml, respectively. On day 70, the PTH level was restored by 54Â % in the C group and 56Â % in the P group compared to the preoperative value (pÂ =Â 0.620). There were no significant intergroup differences in the ionized calcium/phosphorous level. Histology and immunohistochemistry revealed the successful transplantation of parathyroid tissues into the muscles in both groups. In conclusion, the PEG–PAF-based thermoreversible gel is a good candidate carrier material for intramuscular parathyroid autotransplantation. Â© 2016, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의학전문대학원 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.