View : 144 Download: 0
Telmisartan attenuates hyperglycemia-exacerbated VCAM-1 expression and monocytes adhesion in TNFα-stimulated endothelial cells by inhibiting IKKβ expression
- Telmisartan attenuates hyperglycemia-exacerbated VCAM-1 expression and monocytes adhesion in TNFα-stimulated endothelial cells by inhibiting IKKβ expression
- Song K.-H.; Park J.-H.; Jo I.; Park J.-Y.; Seo J.; Kim S.A.; Cho D.-H.
- Ewha Authors
- 조인호; 박정현
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Vascular Pharmacology
- Vascular Pharmacology vol. 78, pp. 43 - 52
- Fimasartan (PubChem CID: 9,870,652); Hyperglycemia; IKKβ; Losartan (PubChem CID: 3961); Telmisartan; Telmisartan (PubChem CID: 65,999); Vascular inflammation; VCAM-1
- Elsevier Inc.
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Uncontrolled hyperglycemia accelerates endothelial damage and vascular inflammation caused by proinflammatory cytokines including tumor necrosis factor α (TNFα), which leads to arteriosclerotic cardiovascular diseases such as myocardial infarction. Telmisartan, an angiotensin II type 1 receptor blocker (ARB), is prescribed for treatment of hypertensive patients with concurrent diabetes mellitus (DM). Although a few clinical trials have suggested that telmisartan decreases cardiovascular complications in diabetic patients, the molecular mechanism for the beneficial effects remains elusive. Here, we investigated a molecular mechanism and effects of telmisartan on the expression of vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1) and attachment of monocytes onto endothelial cells induced by TNFα in hyperglycemia-treated bovine aortic endothelial cells (BAEC). Telmisartan dose-dependently decreased hyperglycemia-aggravated IκB kinase β (IKKβ) expression and nuclear factor-κB (NF-κB) p65-Ser536 phosphorylation, which accompanied a decrease in VCAM-1 expression and THP-1 monocytes adhesion. Among ARBs, including losartan and fimasartan, only telmisartan showed the inhibitory effects on expression of VCAM-1 and IKKβ, and phosphorylation of NF-κB p65-Ser536. The telmisartan's beneficial effects were not changed by pretreatment with GW9662, a specific and irreversible peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ (PPARγ) antagonist, although GW9662 clearly inhibited rosiglitazone-induced CD36 expression. Finally, ectopic expression of wild type (WT)-IKKβ significantly restored telmisartan-attenuated VCAM-1 expression, NF-κB p65-Ser536 phosphorylation, and THP-1 monocytes adhesion. Taken together, our findings demonstrate that telmisartan ameliorates hyperglycemia-exacerbated vascular inflammation, at least in part, by decreasing expression of IKKβ and VCAM-1 independently of PPARγ. Telmisartan may be useful for the treatment of DM-associated vascular inflammation and cardiovascular diseases. © 2015 Elsevier Inc.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.