View : 74 Download: 0
Korean Secondary Students’ Perception of Scientific Literacy as Global Citizens: Using Global Scientific Literacy Questionnaire
- Korean Secondary Students’ Perception of Scientific Literacy as Global Citizens: Using Global Scientific Literacy Questionnaire
- Mun K.; Shin N.; Lee H.; Kim S.-W.; Choi K.; Choi S.-Y.; Krajcik J.S.
- Ewha Authors
- 김성원; 최경희; 이현주
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 김성원; 최경희; 이현주
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- International Journal of Science Education
- vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 1739 - 1766
- Character and values; Development instrument; Habits of mind; Metacognition; Science as human endeavor; Scientific literacy; Self-direction; Twenty-first-century capacities
- SSCI; SCOPUS
- We re-conceptualized the meaning of scientific literacy and developed an instrument, which we call the Global Scientific Literacy Questionnaire (GSLQ) based on a new conceptual framework for scientific literacy in the twenty-first century. We identified five dimensions, each with key elements. The five dimensions are (1) content knowledge (core ideas of science), (2) habits of mind (science practices), (3) character and values, (4) science as human endeavor, and (5) metacognition and self-direction. In this study, we attempted to diagnose the extent to which South Korean secondary students perceive themselves as global citizens having such capabilities using GSLQ with 3,202 students (7th–12th grades). Validity and reliability were examined using various statistical techniques including the Cronbach's α coefficient, exploratory factor analysis, and confirmatory factor analysis. The use and value of the instrument were discussed by examining the Korean secondary students’ overall scientific literacy as well as their views on each dimension across gender and grade levels. We recommend that teachers and researchers use the GSLQ to assess students’ global scientific literacy and provide comments on its usefulness as a research tool and the practical use of its inventory of items. © 2015 Taylor & Francis.
- Appears in Collections:
- 사범대학 > 과학교육과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.