View : 13 Download: 0
PD-1 upregulated on regulatory T cells during chronic virus infection enhances the suppression of CD8+ T cell immune response via the interaction with PD-L1 expressed on CD8+ T cells
- PD-1 upregulated on regulatory T cells during chronic virus infection enhances the suppression of CD8+ T cell immune response via the interaction with PD-L1 expressed on CD8+ T cells
- Park H.J.; Park J.S.; Jeong Y.H.; Son J.; Ban Y.H.; Lee B.-H.; Chen L.; Chang J.; Chung D.H.; Choi I.; Ha S.-J.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Immunology
- vol. 194, no. 12, pp. 5801 - 5811
- American Association of Immunologists
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Regulatory T (T<inf>reg</inf>) cells act as terminators of T cell immuniy during acute phase of viral infection; however, their role and suppressive mechanism in chronic viral infection are not completely understood. In this study, we compared the phenotype and function of T<inf>reg</inf> cells during acute or chronic infection with lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus. Chronic infection, unlike acute infection, led to a large expansion of T<inf>reg</inf> cells and their upregulation of programmed death-1 (PD-1). T<inf>reg</inf> cells from chronically infected mice (chronic T<inf>reg</inf> cells) displayed greater suppressive capacity for inhibiting both CD8+ and CD4+ T cell proliferation and subsequent cytokine production than those from naive or acutely infected mice. A contact between T<inf>reg</inf> and CD8+ T cells was necessary for the potent suppression of CD8+ T cell immune response. More importantly, the suppression required cell-specific expression and interaction of PD-1 on chronic T<inf>reg</inf> cells and PD-1 ligand on CD8+ T cells. Our study defines PD-1 upregulated on T<inf>reg</inf> cells and its interaction with PD-1 ligand on effector T cells as one cause for the potent T cell suppression and proposes the role of PD-1 on T<inf>reg</inf> cells, in addition to that on exhausted T cells, during chronic viral infection. Copyright © 2015 by The American Association of Immunologists, Inc.
- Appears in Collections:
- 약학대학 > 약학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.