View : 24 Download: 0
Detoxification of glutaraldehyde treated porcine pericardium using L-arginine & NABH 4
- Detoxification of glutaraldehyde treated porcine pericardium using L-arginine & NABH 4
- Kim K.-C.; Kim S.-H.; Kim Y.-J.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Korean Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 99 - 107
- SCOPUS; KCI
- Background: Calcification is the most frequent cause of clinical failure of bioprosthetic tissues fabricated from GA-fixed porcine valves or bovine pericardium. A multi-factorial approach using different mechanisms was recently developed to reduce the calcification of bioprosthetic tissues. The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the synchronized synergism of using L-arginine and NaBH 4, compared with ethanol and L-lysine, in glutaraldehyde treated porcine pericardium from the standpoint of calcification and tissue elasticity. Materials and Methods: Porcine pericardium was fixed at 0.625% GA (7 days at room temperature after 2 days at 4°C). An interim step of ethanol (80%; 1 day at room temperature) or L-lysine (0.1 M; 2 days at 37°C) or L-arginine (0.1 M; 2 days at 37°C) was followed by completion of the GA fixation. A final step of NABH 4 (0.1 M; 2 days at room temperature) was followed. Their tensile strength, thickness, and thermal stability were measured. Treated pericardia were implanted subcutaneously into three-week-old Sprague-Dawley rats for 8 weeks. Calcium content was assessed by atomic absorption spectroscopy and histology. Results: L-arginine and NABH 4 pretreatment (1.81±0.39 kgf/5 mm p=0.001, 0.30±0.08 mm p<0.001) significantly increased tensile strength and thickness compared with the control (0.53±0.34 kgf/5 mm, 0.10±0.02 mm). In a thermal stability test, L-arginine and NABH 4 pretreatment (84.25±1.12°C, p=0.023) caused a significant difference from the control (86.25±0.00°C). L-lysine and NABH 4 pretreatment (183.8±42.6 ug/mg, p=0.804), and L-arginine and NABH 4 pretreatment (163.3±27.5 ug/mg, p=0.621) did not significantly inhibit calcification compared to the control (175.5±45.3 ug/mg), but ethanol and NABH 4 pretreatment did (38.5±37.3 ug/mg, p=0.003). Conclusion: The combined pretreatment using L-arginine and NABH 4 after GA fixation seemed to increase the tensile strength and thickness of porcine pericardium, fixed with GA. Additionally, it seemed to keep thermal stability. However it could not decrease the calcification of porcine pericardium fixed with GA. NABH 4 pretreatment seemed to decrease the calcification of porcine pericardium fixed with GA, but only with ethanol. © The Korean Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2011.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의학전문대학원 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.