View : 20 Download: 0
Gene expression of endothelin-1 and endothelin receptor A on monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension in rats after bosentan treatment
- Gene expression of endothelin-1 and endothelin receptor A on monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension in rats after bosentan treatment
- Lim K.A.; Kim K.C.; Cho M.-S.; Lee B.E.; Kim H.S.; Hong Y.M.
- Ewha Authors
- 홍영미; 김혜순; 조민선; 김관창
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 홍영미; 김혜순; 조민선; 김관창
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Korean Circulation Journal
- vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 459 - 464
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Background and Objectives: Endothelin (ET)-1, a potent endothelium-derived vasoconstrictor peptide, has a potential pathophysiologic role in pulmonary hypertension. Bosentan, a dual ET receptor (ET A/ET B) antagonist, is efficacious in treatment of pulmonary hypertension. The objectives of this study were to investigate the expression of ET-1 and ET receptor A (ERA) genes and to evaluate the effect of bosentan in monocrotaline (MCT)-induced pulmonary hypertension. Materials and Methods: Four-week-old male Sprague-Dawley rats were treated as follows: control (n=36), subcutaneous (sc) injection of saline; MCT (n=36), sc injection of MCT (60 mg/kg); and bosentan (n=36), sc injection of MCT (60 mg/kg) plus 25 mg/kg/ day bosentan orally. Results: Serum ET-1 concentrations in the MCT group were higher than the control group on day 28 and 42. Quantitative analysis of peripheral pulmonary arteries revealed that the increase in medial wall thickness after MCT injection was significantly attenuated in the bosentan group on day 28 and 42. In addition, the increase in the number of intra-acinar muscular arteries after MCT injection was reduced by bosentan on day 14,28 and 42. The levels of ET-1 and ERA gene expression were significantly increased in the MCT group compared with control group on day 5, and bosentan decreased the expression of ET-1 on day 5. Conclusion: ET-1 contributes to the progression of cardiopulmonary pathology in rats with MCT-induced pulmonary hypertension. Administration of bosentan reduced ET-1 gene expression in MCT-induced pulmonary hypertension in rats. Copyright © 2010 The Korean Society of Cardiology.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의학전문대학원 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.