View : 105 Download: 0
Inhibitory effects of Bezoar Bovis on intimal formation and vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation in rat
- Inhibitory effects of Bezoar Bovis on intimal formation and vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation in rat
- Mizuno M.; Chung H.-J.; Maruyama I.; Tani T.
- Ewha Authors
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- American Journal of Chinese Medicine
- vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 439 - 447
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Intimal formation of animal carotid arteries induced by balloon endothelial denudation has been considered to be an "accelerated atherosclerosis" model and used in primary screening methods to evaluate natural drugs and chemical candidates. The aim of the present study was to examine whether intimal formation is prevented by Bezoar Bovis (dried cattle gallbladder stones: Niuhuang in Chinese and Go-o in Japanese), which has been used to prevent heart palpitation in patients with hypertension. The intimal-to-medial area ratio in rat carotid arteries 7 days after balloon endothelial denudation was significantly reduced by oral administration of Bezoar Bovis. Bezoar Bovis also suppressed vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs) proliferation, which is thought to play important roles in the intimal formation after endothelial damage and also atherosclerosis resulting from long-term inappropriate lifestyle. The present findings suggest that Bezoar Bovis may be useful for preventing atherosclerosis and for protection against restenosis after percutaneous coronary intervention, for which effective reduction method is not currently available. © 2005 World Scientific Publishing Company. Institute for Advanced Research in Asian Science and Medicine.
- Appears in Collections:
- 일반대학원 > 생명·약학부 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.