View : 68 Download: 0
Feedback control mechanisms for real-time multipoint video services
- Feedback control mechanisms for real-time multipoint video services
- Vickers B.J.; Lee M.; Suda T.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications
- vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 512 - 530
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- While existing research shows that reactive congestion control mechanisms are capable of providing high video quality and channel utilization for point-to-point real-time video, there has been relatively little study of the reactive congestion control of point-to-multipoint video, especially in ATM networks. Problems complicating the provision of multipoint, feedback-based real-time video service include: 1) implosion of feedback returning to the source as the number of multicast destinations increases and 2) variance in the amount of available bandwidth on different branches in the multipoint connection. In this paper, a new service architecture is proposed for realtime multicast video, and two multipoint feedback mechanisms to support this service are introduced and studied. The mechanisms support a minimum bandwidth guarantee and the best effort support of video traffic exceeding the minimum rate. They both rely on adaptive, multilayered coding at the video source and closed-loop feedback from the network in order to control both the high and low priority video generation rates of the video encoder. Simulation results show that the studied feedback mechanisms provide, at the minimum, a quality of video comparable to a constant bit rate (CBR) connection reserving the same amount of bandwidth. When unutilized network bandwidth becomes available, the mechanisms are capable of exploiting it to dynamically improve video quality beyond the minimum guaranteed level.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 컴퓨터공학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.