View : 112 Download: 69
SOX2 regulates self-renewal and tumorigenicity of stem-like cells of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma
- SOX2 regulates self-renewal and tumorigenicity of stem-like cells of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma
- Lee S.H.; Oh S.-Y.; Do S.I.; Lee H.J.; Kang H.J.; Rho Y.S.; Bae W.J.; Lim Y.C.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- British Journal of Cancer
- British Journal of Cancer vol. 111, no. 11, pp. 2122 - 2130
- cancer stem cell; head and neck squamous cell carcinomas; SOX2; target therapy
- Nature Publishing Group
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Document Type
- Background: Head and neck squamous cell carcinomas (HNSCCs) display cellular heterogeneity and contain cancer stem cells (CSCs). Sex-determining region Y SRY-box (SOX)2 is an important regulator of embryonic stem cell fate and is aberrantly expressed in several types of human tumours. Nonetheless, the role of SOX2 in HNSCC remains unclear. Methods: We created cells ectopically expressing SOX2 from previously established HNSCC cells and examined the cell proliferation, self-renewal capacity, and chemoresistance of these cells compared with control cells. In addition, we knocked down SOX2 in primary spheres obtained from HNSCC tumour tissue and assessed the attenuation of stemness-associated traits in these cells in vitro and in vivo. Furthermore, we examined the clinical relevance of SOX2 expression in HNSCC patients. Results: SOX2 is aberrantly expressed in primary tissue of HNSCC patients but not in healthy tissue. SOX2 expression correlated with tumour recurrence and poor prognosis of HNSCC patients. Ectopic expression of SOX2 induced cell proliferation via cyclin B1 expression and stemness-associated features, such as self-renewal and chemoresistance. In addition, a knockdown of SOX2 in HNSCC CSCs attenuated their self-renewal capacity, chemoresistance (through ABCG2 suppression), invasion capacity (via snail downregulation), and in vivo tumorigenicity. Conclusions: These results suggest that SOX2 may have important roles in the 'stemness' and progression of HNSCC. Targeting SOX2-positive tumour cells (CSCs) could be a new therapeutic strategy in HNSCCs. © 2014 Cancer Research UK.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
SOX2 regulates self-renewal and tumorigenicity of stem-like cells of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.pdf(1.9 MB)
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.