View : 43 Download: 0
Rapid prototyping and evaluation of intelligence functions of active storage devices
- Rapid prototyping and evaluation of intelligence functions of active storage devices
- Joo Y.; Ryu J.; Park S.; Shin H.; Shin K.G.
- Ewha Authors
- 박상수; 주용수
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 박상수; 주용수
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- IEEE Transactions on Computers
- vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 2356 - 2368
- Active storage device; Device emulation; Intelligence function
- IEEE Computer Society
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Active storage devices further improve their performance by executing "intelligence functions," such as prefetching and data deduplication, in addition to handling the usual I/O requests they receive. Significant research has been carried out to develop effective intelligence functions for the active storage devices. However, laborious and time-consuming efforts are usually required to set up a suitable experimental platform to evaluate eachnew intelligence function. Moreover, it is difficult to makesuch prototypes available to other researchers and users to gain valuable experience and feedback. To overcome these difficulties, we propose IOLab, a virtual machine (VM)-based platform for evaluating intelligence functions of active storage devices. The VM-based structure of IOLab enables the evaluation of new (and existing) intelligence functions for different types of OSes and active storage devices with little additional effort. IOLab also supports real-time execution of intelligence functions, providing users opportunities to experience latest intelligence functions without waiting for their deployment in commercial products. Using a set of interesting case studies,we demonstrate the utility of IOLab with negligible performance overhead except for the VM's virtualization overhead. © 2013 IEEE.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 컴퓨터공학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.