View : 21 Download: 0
Escherichia coli O157: H7 LPS O-side chains and pO157 are required for killing Caenorhabditis elegans
- Escherichia coli O157: H7 LPS O-side chains and pO157 are required for killing Caenorhabditis elegans
- Youn M.; Lee K.-M.; Kim S.H.; Lim J.; Yoon J.W.; Park S.
- Ewha Authors
- 박성수; 윤장원
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications
- vol. 436, no. 3, pp. 388 - 393
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- As a model host, the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans has been used for studying unknown pathogen-host interactions and identifying novel virulence factors in bacterial pathogens. Among the bacterial pathogens that can induce death of C. elegans is enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) O157:H7, a major serotype of EHEC that causes hemorrhagic colitis and hemolytic uremic syndrome in humans and animals. However, it is unknown which EHEC O157:H7 factors are required for nematode death. In this study, bacterial ability to kill C. elegans was tested for several EHEC O157:H7 wild-type and mutant strains missing one virulence-associated factor, including Shiga toxins, enterohemolysin, pO157 (a large virulence plasmid in EHEC O157:H7), Type 3 secretion system, LuxS, and lipopolysaccharide (LPS) O-side chains. Our results demonstrate that only mutants lacking either pO157 or LPS O-side chains cause full attenuation in killing C. elegans. The LPS O-side chain-defective δ. perA mutant strain was not able to colonize in the intestine even at 24. h post-feeding with C. elegans, while the wild-type strain began to accumulate and colonize in the intestine as early as 3. h post-feeding. A simple complementation of the mutant strain with the plasmid carrying the intact perA gene in trans completely restored the production of LPS O-side chains, as well as the ability to kill C. elegans. Our results show that pO157 and PerA are required for EHEC O157:H7 to kill C. elegans. © 2013 Elsevier Inc.
- Appears in Collections:
- 자연과학대학 > 화학·나노과학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.