View : 48 Download: 0
The impact of total antioxidant capacity on pulmonary function in asthma patients
- The impact of total antioxidant capacity on pulmonary function in asthma patients
- Yoon S.Y.; Kim T.-B.; Baek S.; Kim S.; Kwon H.-S.; Lee Y.S.; Lee T.; Jang A.-S.; Chang Y.-S.; Cho S.-H.; Choi B.W.; Park J.-W.; Nham D.-H.; Yoon H.-J.; Cho Y.-J.; Park C.-S.; Moon H.-B.; Cho Y.S.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease
- vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 1544 - 1550
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- BACKGROUND: Oxidative stress, mediated by an imbalance between oxidants and antioxidants, contributes significantly to the pathogenesis of asthma. OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the impact of serum total antioxidant capacity (TAC) on the pulmonary function of Korean asthma patients. METHOD: A total of 104 adult asthma patients enrolled from the COREA (Cohort for Reality and Evolution of Adult Asthma in Korea) programme participated in the study. Baseline clinical parameters at enrolment, and the results of pulmonary function tests at baseline and 1 and 2 years after enrolment were collected. TAC at baseline was measured using a Trolox-equivalent antioxidant capacity assay. Patients were divided into two groups based on TAC levels, and various clinical parameters were compared. RESULT: Serum TAC levels correlated with forced expiratory volume in 1 second (FEV1) at baseline (r = 0.22, P = 0.03). The group with higher baseline TAC levels maintained greater mean FEV1 both 1 and 2 years after enrolment, even after adjusting for sex, age, height, weight, body mass index and smoking status. CONCLUSION: These results suggest an important link between serum TAC levels and pulmonary function, indicating that higher TAC levels may be a biomarker for favourable prognosis in asthma patients. © 2012 The Union.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.