View : 39 Download: 0
Toward establishing precise 40Ar/39Ar chronologies for Late Pleistocene palaeoclimate archives: An example from the Lake Suigetsu (Japan) sedimentary record
- Toward establishing precise 40Ar/39Ar chronologies for Late Pleistocene palaeoclimate archives: An example from the Lake Suigetsu (Japan) sedimentary record
- Smith V.C.; Mark D.F.; Staff R.A.; Blockley S.P.E.; Ramsey C.B.; Bryant C.L.; Nakagawa T.; Han K.K.; Weh A.; Takemura K.; Danhara T.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Quaternary Science Reviews
- vol. 30, no. 21-22, pp. 2845 - 2850
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- The varved Suigetsu (SG06) sediment core is potentially one of the most important and well-constrained mid-latitude palaeoclimate archives, recording continuous deposition during the last ∼150 kyrs. Numerous visible and non-visible volcanic ash layers form unique age markers within SG06. These ash layers are too fine and crystal-poor to be directly dated using the 40Ar/39Ar technique so the tephra were correlated to proximal volcanic deposits using their glass shard compositions. A high-precision 40Ar/39Ar sanidine age of 10.0 ± 0.3 ka (1σ, n = 34, MSWD = 0.71, p = 0.89) was obtained for the SG06-1288 (U-Oki) proximal tephra (Ulleungdo U4). 40Ar/39Ar yields a precision of ±3% near the younger limit of the method, with improved precision possible for older SG06 samples. Such 40Ar/39Ar ages for tephra layers can provide invaluable tie-points within the Lake Suigetsu SG06 sequence, giving independent verification of the core's varve chronology, allowing for the calibration of cosmogenic nuclide production, and providing a precise chronology beyond the varve limit. © 2011 Elsevier Ltd.
- Appears in Collections:
- 사범대학 > 과학교육과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.