View : 11 Download: 0
Effect of hypertonic saline and macrophage migration inhibitory factor in restoration of T cell dysfunction
- Effect of hypertonic saline and macrophage migration inhibitory factor in restoration of T cell dysfunction
- Yoon Y.-H.; Choi S.-H.; Hong Y.-S.; Lee S.-W.; Moon S.-W.; Cho H.-J.; Han C.; Cheon Y.-J.; Bansal V.
- Ewha Authors
- 전영진; 한철
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 전영진; 한철
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of the Korean Surgical Society
- vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 229 - 234
- Purpose: Trauma-induced suppression of cellular immune function likely contributes to sepsis, multiple organ dysfunction syndrome and death. T cell proliferation decreases after traumatic stress. The addition of prostaglandin E2 (PGE 2), which depresses immune function after hemorrhage and trauma, to T-cells decreases T-cell proliferation; and hypertonic saline restores PGE 2-induced T-cell suppression. Recently, it has become apparent that macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) plays a central role in several immune responses, including T-cell proliferation. However, the role of MIF in mediating hypertonic saline (HTS) restoration of T cell dysfunction is unknown. Therefore, we hypothesize that T cell immune restoration by HTS occurs, at least in part, by a MIF-mediated mechanism. Methods: Jurkat cells were cultured in Roswell Park Memorial Institute media, at a final concentration of 2.5 × 10 6 cell/mL. The effects of HTS on T-cell proliferation following PGE 2-induced suppression were evaluated in Jurkat cells: HTS at 20 or 40 mmol/L above isotonicity was added. MIF levels were determined by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and western blot analysis. Results: PGE 2 caused a 15.0% inhibition of Jurkat cell proliferation, as compared to the control. MIF levels decreased in PGE 2-suppressed cells, as compared to the control. MIF levels were higher in cells treated with HTS than PGE 2-stimulated cells. Conclusion: The role of HTS in restoring Jurkat cells proliferation suppressed by PGE 2, at least in part, should be mediated through a MIF pathway. Copyright © 2011, the Korean Surgical Society.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의학전문대학원 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.