View : 112 Download: 0
Laparoscopic common bile duct exploration for elderly patients: As a first treatment strategy for common bile duct stones
- Laparoscopic common bile duct exploration for elderly patients: As a first treatment strategy for common bile duct stones
- Lee A.; Min S.K.; Park J.J.; Lee H.K.
- Ewha Authors
- 이현국; 민석기; 이안복
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 이현국; 민석기
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of the Korean Surgical Society
- Journal of the Korean Surgical Society vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 128 - 133
- Document Type
- Purpose: Common bile duct (CBD) stone is a relatively common disease in elderly patients. There have been many reports about the efficacy and safety of LCBDE. But for elderly patients, only a few studies about its efficacy and safety exist. The aim of this study is to evaluate the efficacy, safety and the surgical outcome of LCBDE in patients who are 70 years or older and compare the results with those of the younger group. Methods: From January 2000 to November 2009, 132 patients underwent LCBDE. We divided these patients into two groups according to age and conducted a retrospective analysis. The elderly group included patients who were 70 years old or older (n = 64), and the younger group included those who were younger than 70 (n = 68). The elderly group was compared to the younger group with respect to their clinical characteristics, operation time, postoperative hospital stay, open conversion rate, first meal time, postoperative complication, recurrence rate and mortality. Results: The elderly group showed high American Society of Anesthesiologists score (2.2 vs. 1.9) (P = 0.003), preoperative morbidity (47 vs. 29) (P < 0.001), and previous abdominal operation (18 vs. 14) (P = 0.046). There were no significant differences in mean operation time, postoperative hospital stay, first meal time, recurrence rate, remnant stone, complication rates or mortality in both groups (P > 0.05). Conclusion: LCDBE is a safe and effective treatment modality for CBD stones not only for younger patients but also for elderly patients. Copyright © 2011, the Korean Surgical Society.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.