View : 50 Download: 0
A complex phenotype of peripheral neuropathy, myopathy, hoarseness, and hearing loss is linked to an autosomal dominant mutation in MYH14
- A complex phenotype of peripheral neuropathy, myopathy, hoarseness, and hearing loss is linked to an autosomal dominant mutation in MYH14
- Choi B.-O.; Hee Kang S.; Hyun Y.S.; Kanwal S.; Park S.W.; Koo H.; Kim S.-B.; Choi Y.-C.; Yoo J.H.; Kim J.-W.; Park K.D.; Choi K.-G.; Ja Kim S.; Zuchner S.; Chung K.W.
- Ewha Authors
- 최경규; 구혜수; 박기덕; 유정현; 최병옥
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 최경규; 구혜수; 박기덕; 유정현
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Human Mutation
- vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 669 - 677
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Both peripheral neuropathy and distal myopathy are well-established inherited neuromuscular disorders characterized by progressive weakness and atrophy of the distal limb muscles. A complex phenotype of peripheral neuropathy, myopathy, hoarseness, and hearing loss was diagnosed in a large autosomal dominant Korean family. A high density single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP)-based linkage study mapped the underlying gene to a region on chromosome 19q13.3. The maximum multipoint LOD score was 3.794. Sequencing of 34 positional candidate genes in the segregating haplotype revealed a novel c.2822G>T (p.Arg941Leu) mutation in the gene MYH14, which encodes the nonmuscle myosin heavy chain 14. Clinically we observed a sequential pattern of the onset of muscle weakness starting from the anterior to the posterior leg muscle compartments followed by involvement of intrinsic hand and proximal muscles. The hearing loss and hoarseness followed the onset of distal muscle weakness. Histopathologic and electrodiagnostic studies revealed both chronic neuropathic and myopathic features in the affected patients. Although mutations in MYH14 have been shown to cause nonsyndromic autosomal dominant hearing loss (DFNA4), the peripheral neuropathy, myopathy, and hoarseness have not been associated with MYH14. Therefore, we suggest that the identified mutation in MYH14 significantly expands the phenotypic spectrum of this gene. © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.