View : 17 Download: 0
An aqueous extract of Poncirus fructus activates the prokinetic activity of 5-HT receptor subtype 4 without hERG interaction
- An aqueous extract of Poncirus fructus activates the prokinetic activity of 5-HT receptor subtype 4 without hERG interaction
- Shim W.-S.; Back H.; Jung S.-W.; Kim J.-W.; Jang Y.; Lee B.; Seo E.-K.; Oh U.; Shim C.-K.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Ethnopharmacology
- vol. 132, no. 1, pp. 328 - 333
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Aim of the study: Poncirus fructus (PF) - also known as the dried, immature fruit of Poncirus trifoliata (L.) Raf. (Rutaceae) - is a natural substance that has long been used for various gastrointestinal disorders in eastern Asia. An aqueous extract of PF (PF-W) has particularly potent gastroprokinetic effects, but its molecular mechanism was not well understood. Identification of the underlying prokinetic mechanism of PF-W was pursued in the present study. Materials and methods: Changes in in vitro cAMP levels and in vivo intestinal transit rate (ITR) caused by PF-W were measured after pretreatment with GR125487, an antagonist for serotonin receptor subtype 4 (5-HT4R). An [ 3H] astemizole binding assay and electrophysiology experiments were performed to determine if PF-W has any interaction with the human ether-à-go-go related gene (hERG) potassium channel. Results: PF-W induced an increase in intracellular cAMP in 5-HT4R-expressing HEK293T cells, indicating that PF-W does activate 5-HT4R. Moreover, pretreatment with GR125487 successfully blocked the increase, suggesting that the response was 5-HT4R-specific. More importantly, pretreatment of GR125487 in rats inhibited the elevation of ITR by PF-W, indicating that the prokinetic effect of PF-W was indeed exerted via 5-HT4R. On the other hand, both [ 3H]-astemizole binding assay and electrophysiological experiments revealed that PF-W did not interfere at all with the hERG channel. Conclusion: It was found that PF-W exerts its prokinetic activity through a 5-HT4R-mediated pathway, with no interaction with hERG channels. Therefore, PF-W is a good candidate that might be developed as a prokinetic agent with fewer expected cardiac side effects. © 2010 Elsevier Ireland Ltd.
- Appears in Collections:
- 약학대학 > 약학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.