View : 109 Download: 47
Risk factors for antimicrobial resistance among the Escherichia coli strains Isolated from Korean patients with acute uncomplicated cystitis: A prospective and nationwide study
- Risk factors for antimicrobial resistance among the Escherichia coli strains Isolated from Korean patients with acute uncomplicated cystitis: A prospective and nationwide study
- Lee G.; Cho Y.-H.; Shim B.S.; Lee S.D.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Korean Medical Science
- Journal of Korean Medical Science vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1205 - 1209
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
- We investigated the risk factors for resistance to ciprofloxacin, cefazolin, ampicillin and cotrimoxazole in Escherichia coli isolates from urine of Korean female patients with acute uncomplicated cystitis (AUC). A total of 225 patients and their E. coli isolates were prospectively and nationwidely enrolled between May and October, 2006. All the antimicrobials did not show any differences according to the age group. A higher rate of ciprofloxacin resistance was observed in the south (OR: 3.04, 95% CI: 1.19-7.80 for Chungcheong-do & Jeolla-do; OR: 3.04, 95% CI: 1.22-7.58 for Gyeongsang-do) compared to Gyeonggi-do. Two recurrences of AUC in the past year was an important risk factor for antimicrobial resistance (ciprofloxacin; OR: 6.71, 95% CI: 1.86-24.11 and cefazolin; OR: 5.72, 95% CI: 1.20-27.25). However, the resistance to co-trimoxazole and ampicillin was not associated with any of the risk factors. This study also revealed the pattern of multi-drugs resistance in ciprofloxacin resistant E. coli strains. In conclusion, for Korean patients with two more recurrences of AUC in the past year, it is strongly recommended to perform an antimicrobial sensitivity test with a urine sample before empirical treatment. © 2010 The Korean Academy of Medical Sciences.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
Risk factors for antimicrobial resistance among the Escherichia coli strains Isolated from Korean patients with acute uncomplicated cystitis.pdf(360.51 kB)
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.