View : 20 Download: 0
Population-attributable risk of low birthweight related to PM10 pollution in seven Korean cities
- Population-attributable risk of low birthweight related to PM10 pollution in seven Korean cities
- Seo J.-H.; Leem J.-H.; Ha E.-H.; Kim O.-J.; Kim B.-M.; Lee J.-Y.; Park H.-S.; Kim H.-C.; Hong Y.-C.; Kim Y.-J.
- Ewha Authors
- 하은희; 김영주; 박혜숙; 김병미
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 하은희; 김영주; 박혜숙; 김병미
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology
- vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 140 - 148
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- To understand the preventable fraction of low birthweight (LBW) deliveries due to maternal exposure to air pollution during pregnancy in Korea, it is important to quantify the population-attributable risk (PAR). Thus, we investigated the association between maternal exposure to air pollution during pregnancy and LBW, and calculated the PAR for air pollution and LBW in seven Korean cities. We used birth records from the Korean National Birth Register for 2004. A geographic information system and kriging methods were used to construct exposure models. Associations between air pollution and LBW were evaluated using univariable and multivariable logistic regression, and the PAR for LBW due to air pollution was calculated. Of 177 660 full-term singleton births, 1.4% were LBW. When only spatial variation of air pollution was considered in each city, the adjusted odds ratios unit of particulate matter <10 μm in diameter (PM10) for LBW were 1.08 95% confidence interval CI 0.99, 1.18 in Seoul, 1.24 95% CI 1.02, 1.52 in Pusan, 1.19 95% CI 1.04, 1.37 in Daegu, 1.12 95% CI 0.98, 1.28 in Incheon, 1.22 95% CI 0.98, 1.52 in Kwangju, 1.05 95% CI 1.00, 1.11 in Daejeon and 1.19 95% CI 1.03, 1.38 in Ulsan. The PARs for LBW attributable to maternal PM10 exposure during pregnancy were 7%, 19%, 16%, 11%, 18%, 5% and 16% respectively. Because a large proportion of pregnant women in Korea are exposed to PM10 - which is associated with LBW - a substantial proportion of LBW could be prevented in Korea if air pollution was reduced. © 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.