View : 75 Download: 0
Value of multidetector CT in decision making regarding surgery in patients with small-bowel obstruction due to adhesion
- Value of multidetector CT in decision making regarding surgery in patients with small-bowel obstruction due to adhesion
- Hwang J.-Y.; Lee J.K.; Lee J.E.; Baek S.Y.
- Ewha Authors
- 백승연; 이정경; 황지영; 이지은
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 백승연; 이정경; 황지영; 이지은
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- European Radiology
- vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 2425 - 2431
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- The aim of this study was to evaluate the value of use of multidetector CT (MDCT) to predict the need for subsequent surgery in patients with small-bowel obstruction (SBO) due to adhesion. During a 3-year period, 128 patients with an SBO due to adhesion were enrolled in this prospective study. Initially, all patients were treated conservatively. Surgery was performed in patients who developed signs of strangulation or did not improve, despite a conservative treatment for at least 5 days. Of the 128 patients, 37 patients eventually underwent surgery. Two radiologists interpreted MDCT findings regarded as predictive indicators for subsequent surgery in consensus. The findings included degree of SBO, presence of transition zone, and an abnormal vascular course. These findings were statistically compared between the group operated on and the group not operated on. A higher degree of SBO, an abnormal vascular course, and the presence of transition zone were more frequently seen in the group of patients operated on (p<0.001). Sensitivities, specificities, positive and negative predictive values, and risks for the use of MDCT to predict the need for surgery were 100%, 46.1%, 43%, 100%, and 1.9 (1.5≤95% confidence interval (CI)≤2.2) for a high-grade obstruction; 100%, 23%, 34.5%, 100%, and 1.3 (1.2≤95% Cl≤1.5) for the presence of a transition zone; and 70.2%, 90.1%, 74.2%, 88.1%, and 7.1 (3.7≤95% CI≤13.7) for the presence of an abnormal course of the mesenteric vessels, respectively. The presence of a high degree of SBO and an abnormal vascular course around transition zone are useful indicators on MDCT to predict the need for surgery in patients with an SBO due to adhesion. © European Society of Radiology 2009.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.