View : 160 Download: 24
Association between polymorphisms of ethanol-Metabolizing enzymes and susceptibility to alcoholic cirrhosis in a Korean male population
- Association between polymorphisms of ethanol-Metabolizing enzymes and susceptibility to alcoholic cirrhosis in a Korean male population
- Lee H.C.; Lee H.-S.; Jung S.-H.; Yi S.Y.; Jung H.K.; Yoon J.-H.; Kim C.Y.
- Ewha Authors
- 이선영; 정혜경
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 이선영; 정혜경
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Korean Medical Science
- Journal of Korean Medical Science vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 745 - 750
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Document Type
- Alcohol is oxidized to acetaldehyde by alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and cytochrome P-4502E1 (CYP2E1), and then to acetate by aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH). Polymorphisms of these ethanol-metabolizing enzymes may be associated with inter-individual difference in alcohol metabolism and susceptibility to alcoholic liver disease. We determined genotype and allele frequencies of ALDH2, CYP2E1, ADH2, and ADH3 in male Korean patients with alcoholic cirrhosis (n=56), alcoholics without evidence of liver disease (n=52), and nondrinkers (n=64) by using PCR or PCR-directed mutagenesis followed by restriction enzyme digestion. The prevalences of heterozygous ALDH2*1/*2 plus homozygous ALDH2*2/ *2 in patients with alcoholic cirrhosis (7.1%) and alcoholics without evidence of liver disease (3.8%) were significantly lower than that in nondrinkers (45.3%). The c2 allele frequencies of the CYP2E1 in alcoholic cirrhosis, alcoholics without evidence of liver disease, and nondrinkers were 0.21, 0.20, and 0.20, respectively. Allele frequencies of ADH2*2 in the three groups were 0.78, 0.74, and 0.77 and those of ADH3*1 were 0.94, 0.98, and 0.95. Therefore, we confirmed the observation that the ALDH2*2 gene protects against the development of alcoholism. However, the development of cirrhosis in Korean alcoholic patients was not associated with polymorphisms of ethanol-metabolizing enzymes. Copyright © The Korean Academy of Medical Sciences.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
Association Between Polymorphisms of Ethanol-Metabolizing Enzymes and Susceptibility to Alcoholic Cirrhosis in a Korean Male Population.pdf(97.78 kB)
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.