View : 34 Download: 5
Meta-analysis of hypertension as a risk factor of cerebrovascular disorders in Koreans
- Meta-analysis of hypertension as a risk factor of cerebrovascular disorders in Koreans
- Park J.K.; Kim C.-B.; Kim K.S.; Kang M.G.; Jee S.H.
- Ewha Authors
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Korean Medical Science
- vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 2 - 8
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- This study was conducted to integrate the results of previous studies which evaluated hypertension as a risk factor for cerebrovascular disorders (CVD) in Koreans. We retrieved the Korean literature using a manual search and the English literature using the MEDLINE database concerning the relationship between hypertension and CVD in Koreans from 1980 to 1997. The overall effect size of hypertension as a risk factor of CVD was represented by common odds ratio (OR). Before the integration of each effect size, a heterogeneity test and a sensitivity test was conducted. The materials were nine published epidemiologic studies with a total of 2,271 cases of CVD. The common ORs (95% confidence interval) of overall CVD, hemorrhagic CVD and ischemic CVD associated with hypertension were 4.10 (3.56-4.71), 6.56 (4.92-8.80) and 3.28 (2.77-3.90), respectively. Thus, the common OR of hemorrhagic CVD associated with hypertension was significantly higher than that of overall or ischemic CVD. This suggests that hypertension is an important risk factor for overall CVD and its subtypes in Koreans. Due to the lack of reliable prospective studies, however, longitudinal study is required in this area. Copyright © The Korean Academy of Medical Sciences.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
- Meta-analysis of hypertension as a risk factor of cerebrovascular disorders in Koreans.pdf(816.04 kB)Download
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.