View : 52 Download: 0
Increased activity of matrix metalloproteinase-2 in human glial and neuronal cell lines treated with HIV-1 gp41 peptides
- Increased activity of matrix metalloproteinase-2 in human glial and neuronal cell lines treated with HIV-1 gp41 peptides
- Chong Y.H.; Seoh J.Y.; Park H.K.
- Ewha Authors
- 박혜경; 서주영; 정영해
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 박혜경; 서주영; 정영해
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- Journal of Molecular Neuroscience
- vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 129 - 141
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Part of the neurodegenerative cascade in AIDS dementia may involve overexpression of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs). Here, we examined the possible effect of HIV-1 gp41, which has been shown as a key determinant associated with pathogenesis of AIDS dementia, on the activity of MMPs using human neuronal and glial cell lines. Zymographic analysis revealed that treatment with the gp41 peptide (aa 583-599) for 24 h markedly elevated the activity of MMP with Mr 66 kDa in the cultured media of glioblastoma cell line T98G in a concentration-dependent manner as well as of neuroblastoma cell line SK-N-SH despite of lower magnitude of the acticity. In contrast, the immediately adjacent gp41 peptide (aa 598-613) as well as the reverse peptide (aa 598-583) had a little effect. Recombinant gp41 protein containing extracellular domain also elicited a similar effect, although with a lesser extent. This 66 kDa MMP was confirmed as gelatinase A (MMP-2) based on the results of its activity dependent on Ca2+ and inhibited in the presence of 1.10-phenanthroline or EDTA, as well as its specific immunoreactivity on the Western blot. N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) downregulated this gp41 peptide- induced MMP-2 activity in T98G. The soluble form of amyloid precursor protein (sAPP), which is synthesized in the Escherichia coli system, also inhibited the MMP-2 activity in vitro. Taken together, these results implicate that high production of HIV-1 gp41 or its metabolites containing aa 583599 within central nervous system (CNS) could result in the increased activity of MMP-2 and that the extracellular deficiency of reducing agent or decreased level of sAPP within CNS could exacerbate this gp41-induced MMP-2 activity.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.