View : 43 Download: 0
Rapid Growth-What's Next for Gender Mainstreaming? Analyzing the Gender Impact Assessment System in Korea
- Rapid Growth-What's Next for Gender Mainstreaming? Analyzing the Gender Impact Assessment System in Korea
- Kim, Dool-Soon; Kang, Minah
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF WOMEN POLITICS & POLICY
- 1554-477X; 1554-4788
- vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 168 - 189
- Gender mainstreaming; gender impact assessment; GIA system; EIA; RIA
- ROUTLEDGE JOURNALS, TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD
- SSCI; SCOPUS
- While the gender impact assessment (GIA) system has been expanding in Korea with surprising and impressive speed, its actual influence on policies and programs remains quite uncertain. By conducting in-depth interviews with 16 frontline public officials and by systematically comparing it with environmental impact assessment (EIA) and regulatory impact assessment (RIA), the present study evaluates the current GIA system in Korea and identifies areas and issues for future improvement. Our findings show that an independent law, a separate managing division, clear criteria for selecting target policies and programs, and solid assessment measures are critical requirements for successful GIAs. In addition, we find that one of the most essential tasks is overcoming cultural resistance, especially the low priority gender issues have for male policy decision makers.
- Appears in Collections:
- 사회과학대학 > 행정학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.