View : 36 Download: 0
Bacterial Community Structure Shifted by Geosmin in Granular Activated Carbon System of Water Treatment Plants
- Bacterial Community Structure Shifted by Geosmin in Granular Activated Carbon System of Water Treatment Plants
- Ngoc Dung Pham; Lee, Eun-Hee; Chae, Seon-Ha; Cho, Yongdeok; Shin, Hyejin; Son, Ahjeong
- Ewha Authors
- 손아정; 이은희
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 손아정; 이은희
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF MICROBIOLOGY AND BIOTECHNOLOGY
- 1017-7825; 1738-8872
- vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 99 - 109
- Cyanobacteria; geosmin; water quality; bacterial community; granular activated carbon; water treatment plant
- KOREAN SOC MICROBIOLOGY & BIOTECHNOLOGY
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- We investigated the relation between the presence of geosmin in water and the bacterial community structure within the granular activated carbon (GAC) system of water treatment plants in South Korea. GAC samples were collected in May and August of 2014 at three water treatment plants (Sungnam, Koyang, and Yeoncho in Korea). Dissolved organic carbon and geosmin were analyzed before and after GAC treatment. Geosmin was found in raw water from Sungnam and Koyang water treatment plants but not in that from Yeoncho water treatment plant. Interestingly, but not surprisingly, the 16S rRNA clone library indicated that the bacterial communities from the Sungnam and Koyang GAC systems were closely related to geosmin-degrading bacteria. Based on the phylogenetic tree and multidimensional scaling plot, bacterial clones from GAC under the influence of geosmin were clustered with Variovorax paradoxus strain DB 9b and Comamonas sp. DB mg. In other words, the presence of geosmin in water might have inevitably contributed to the growth of geosmin degraders within the respective GAC system.
- Appears in Collections:
- 엘텍공과대학 > 환경공학전공 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.