View : 17 Download: 0
Facial nerve management in jugular paraganglioma surgery: a literature review
- Facial nerve management in jugular paraganglioma surgery: a literature review
- Odat, H.; Shin, S-H; Odat, M. A.; Alzoubi, F.
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF LARYNGOLOGY AND OTOLOGY
- 0022-2151; 1748-5460
- vol. 130, no. 3, pp. 219 - 224
- Facial Nerve; Facial Paralysis; Glomus Jugulare; Paraganglioma; Skull Base Neoplasms
- CAMBRIDGE UNIV PRESS
- SCIE; SCOPUS
- Objective: This literature review analysed facial nerve management strategies in jugular paraganglioma surgery and discusses the tumour resection rate and the facial nerve outcome associated with each technique. Methods: A retrospective review of PubMed and Medline articles on the surgical treatments for jugular paraganglioma was performed. Tumour resection rates and post-operative facial nerve function after non-rerouting, short anterior rerouting and long anterior rerouting approaches were evaluated for each article. Results: A total of 15 studies involving a total of 688 patients were included. Post-operative facial nerve function was similar after non-rerouting and short anterior rerouting approaches (p = 0.169); however, both of these techniques had significantly better post-operative facial nerve outcomes compared with long anterior rerouting (p < 0.001 and p = 0.001, respectively). The total tumour removal rate was significantly higher for long anterior rerouting than with the non-rerouting approach (p = 0.016). There was no difference in total tumour removal rate between the long and short anterior rerouting approaches (p = 0.067) and between the short anterior rerouting and non-rerouting approaches (p = 0.867). Conclusion: No strict guidelines for facial nerve management in jugular paraganglioma resection are available. Although long anterior rerouting provides the best tumour exposure along with a low morbidity rate, case-by-case selection of the surgical approach is recommended.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의학전문대학원 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.