View : 28 Download: 0
The Influence of Electron-beam Irradiation on the Chemical and the Structural Properties of Medical-grade Polyurethane
- The Influence of Electron-beam Irradiation on the Chemical and the Structural Properties of Medical-grade Polyurethane
- Shin, Sukyoung; Lee, Soonhyouk
- Ewha Authors
- 이순혁; 신석영
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 이순혁; 신석영
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF THE KOREAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY
- 0374-4884; 1976-8524
- vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 71 - 75
- Medical polymer; Electron-beam irradiation; Thermo plastic polyurethane
- KOREAN PHYSICAL SOC
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Thermo plastic polyurethane (TPU) provides excellent bio-compatibility, flexibility and good irradiation resistance; however, extremely high irradiation doses can alter the structure and the function of macromolecules, resulting in oxidation, chain scission and cross-linking. In this study, the effects of e-beam irradiation on the medical-grade thermo plastic polyurethane were studied. Changes in the chain length and their distribution, as well as changes in the molecular structure were studied. The GPC (gel permeation chromatography) results show that the oxidative decomposition is followed by a decrease in the molecular mass and an increase in polydispersity. This indicates a very inhomogeneous degradation, which is a consequence of the specific course and of the intensity of oxidative degradation. This was confirmed by means of mechanical property measurements. Overall, this study demonstrated that medical-grade TPU was affected by radiation exposure, particularly at high irradiation doses.
- Appears in Collections:
- 연구기관 > 의과학연구소 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.