View : 21 Download: 0
Characterization of Female Protagonists in Video Games: A Focus on Lara Croft
- Characterization of Female Protagonists in Video Games: A Focus on Lara Croft
- Han, Hye-Won; Song, Se-Jin
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- ASIAN JOURNAL OF WOMENS STUDIES
- vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 27 - 49
- Female protagonist; female characterization; female representation; Lara Croft; video game
- EWHA WOMANS UNIV PRESS
- SSCI; SCOPUS; KCI
- The purpose of this paper is primarily to examine the characteristics of female protagonists in video games and to study the process through which they attain the identities of heroes. Over the 17 years of perpetual and repeated incarnation in the Tomb Raider series, Lara Croft serves as both a leading model and a mythical signifier for female protagonists. Therefore, we seek to identify the gender consciousness that underlies female characterization in video games, with a particular focus on Lara Croft. As a popular narrative medium, video games feature female heroes to represent gender values of the time. The synchronic and diachronic analysis of Croft's features as a character and identity as a female hero leads us to the conclusion that female protagonists merely serve as the subject of desire, recreated to satisfy sadomasochistic male fantasies. They fulfill men's sadistic desires through their glamorous physique and masochist desires, as reflected by their behavior. Through a process of denial regarding femininity, common representations as the mother, and the re-codifying of patriarchal values solely in favor of the patriarch, female protagonists faced the confusion of dual identity, wherein they would equate themselves with male heroes, while simultaneously identifying themselves as damsels-in-distress. To summarize, video games exclusively allow the existence of heroes, while a true heroine has yet to emerge. Female characters are limited by their adherence to patriarchal conventions even in the virtual world, which is like a mirror world and an alternative world at the same time.
- Appears in Collections:
- 신산업융합대학 > 융합콘텐츠학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.