View : 52 Download: 0
Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation for Expansion of Remnant Liver Volume with Extensive Hepatectomy
- Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation for Expansion of Remnant Liver Volume with Extensive Hepatectomy
- Han, Ho-Seong; Ahn, Keun Soo; Cho, Jai Young; Yoon, Yoo-Seok; Yoon, Chang Jin; Park, Kyoung Un; Min, Seog Ki; Lee, Hyeon Kook; Ryu, Kyung-Ha
- Ewha Authors
- 유경하; 이현국
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 유경하; 이현국
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- vol. 61, no. 129, pp. 156 - 161
- Autologous stem cell transplantation; Liver volume; Extensive hepatectomy; Regeneration; Stem cell
- H G E UPDATE MEDICAL PUBLISHING S A
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- Background/Aims: The plasticity of bone marrow stem cells has been confirmed to self-renew and transdifferentiate into hepatocytes. Thus, we performed autologous stem cell transplantation for rapid liver regeneration with extensive hepatectomy in hepatocellular cancer patients. Methodology: With in formed consent, patients aged 20 to 75 who needed large extensive hepatectomy due to hepatocellular carcinoma were randomly divided into three groups: control, mononuclear cells (MNCs), and CD34+ cells, based on infused cell type. After portal vein embolization (PVE), mobilized MNCs or CD34+ cells were returned to the patient via the portal vein on mobilization day without manipulation. Liver volume, liver function, Clinical score and Indocyanine green R15 (ICG-R15) were compared before and after PVE. Results: Total bilirubin, albumin, and clinical score showed significant improvement (p < 0.05) 1 week post-infusion, with no significant difference between MNC and CD34+ cell groups. Four patients (control, 1; MNC, 1; CD34+, 2) started at over 18% ICG-R15 but can be overturned after PVE. Daily hepatic volume growth (mL/day) was 2.5 for MNC and 4.9 for CD34+ groups, resulting in significant increase over controls (1.1; p < 0.05). We found no correlation between the number of applied CD34+ cells and daily gains in left lateral lobe volume. Conclusions: Improvements in liver volume, liver function, clinical score and ICG-R15 suggest that autologous stem cell transplantation is a promising method for liver regeneration.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의학전문대학원 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.