View : 94 Download: 0
Interaction between maternal serum folate and the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) polymorphisms on infant birthweight
- Interaction between maternal serum folate and the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) polymorphisms on infant birthweight
- Park, Hyesook; Kim, Young Ju; Ha, Eun Hee; Lee, Bo Eun; Park, Bo Hyun; Lee, Hwa Young; Park, Eun Ae; Chang, Namsoo; Hong, Yun-Chul
- Ewha Authors
- 하은희; 장남수; 박은애; 김영주; 박혜숙; 이화영; 이보은; 박보현
- SCOPUS Author ID
- 하은희; 장남수; 박은애; 김영주; 박혜숙; 이화영; 박보현
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- MOLECULAR & CELLULAR TOXICOLOGY
- vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 130 - 136
- birthweight; folate; methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase; polymorphism; interaction
- KOREAN SOC TOXICOGENOMICS & TOXICOPROTEOMICS
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- The purpose of this study was to evaluate whether the interactions between maternal folate deficiency and methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) polymorphism increase the risk of elevated maternal serum homocysteine, short gestation and reduced infant birthweight. Healthy pregnant (n = 170; 24-28 gestational weeks; 20-40 years old) women were analyzed for the MTHFR genotype and serum levels of folate and homocysteine, and were then followed for gestational age and infant birthweight. The mean infant birthweight was highest in mothers carrying MTHFR PC and with a normal folate range, and they were followed by mothers carrying MTHFR CT or TT and a normal range of folate or a folate deficiency. Birthweight was the lowest in mothers whose carrying MTHFR CC with folate deficiency. Using two way ANOVA, we found that folate level and the MTHFR polymorphism interacted to affect birthweight of infants (p=0.05). Among those mothers carrying MTHFR CC, those with folate deficiency showed a 543 g reduction in infant birthweight compared with those with normal folate levels. However, infant birthweight was no different for mothers, those who with folate deficiency compared to those with normal range of folate among mothers carrying the MTHFR CT or TT genotypes. This study suggests an interaction between maternal serum folate and the MTHFR polymorphisms of the mother on the risk of delivering reduced birthweight offspring. Folate supplementation of folate deficient pregnant women with the MTHFR wild type is suggested to reduce the risk of low birthweight.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.